AG Guidance to Public Entities Regarding OMA and IPRA Compliance During COVID-19 State of Emergency - Click Here

The Advocacy and Intervention and the Consumer & Environmental Protection Divisions of the Office of the Attorney General enforce consumer laws in the State of New Mexico that exist to shield the public from fraudulent and unfair business practices. Our state’s principal consumer law is the Unfair Practices Act. Under the Unfair Practices Act, the Office of the Attorney General provides multi-level services to the public to ensure that consumers have safe and satisfactory interactions with businesses operating in New Mexico.

Advocacy and Intervention

The Office of the Attorney General does not act and cannot act as a private attorney for individual citizens. However, in some matters, if a consumer is unable to resolve a dispute with a business, the Advocacy and Intervention complaint resolution services may be available. There is no charge to the public for these services. The Office of the Attorney General can never guarantee a particular outcome.

Some of the types of complaints the Advocacy and Intervention Division handles:

  • Auto sales- new or used automobiles
  • Mobile home sales
  • Auto repairs
  • Disputes with collection agencies
  • Extension of credit, including payday and car title loans, mortgages, and retail installment contracts
  • Retail sales
  • Home building and home improvement repairs
  • Sale of warranties
  • Games and contests

The Advocacy and Intervention Division does NOT handle:

  • Complaints against other governmental entities
  • Child support disputes
  • Divorce, child custody and visitation and other domestic relations matters
  • Criminal issues
  • Disputes between homeowner’s association members with their association
  • Disputes between individuals not involving a business
  • Disputes purely involving the sale of land

The Advocacy and Intervention Division may refer certain types of complaints to another agency or entity:

  • Disputes with utilities companies (including landline phone companies)
  • Disputes with cellular phone companies
  • Insurance disputes
  • Landlord/tenant disputes

If your matter does not fit into any of these categories, please call us at 1-844-255-9210 to discuss your situation with one of our advocates before you file your complaint.

Submitting a Complaint

With New Mexico Office of the Attorney General's Electronic Complaint Submission (ECS) application, you can submit your complaint to our office without having to fill out paper forms.

If you would prefer to fill out a paper complaint form, please use one of the forms below.

Complaint form includes detailed instructions.